Monday, December 6, 2010

Most Recent Art Obsession: Trees


These ceramic plaques started their lives as kitchen decor. One of them featured tomatoes; the other peas. Definitely not the style of decor I'm going for in the house. But I saw their potential, and more importantly, saw the fact that they were 90% off at Jo Ann Fabrics. Clearance is one of my weaknesses. But for less than a buck a pop, I figured they were worth the investment, even if they didn't end up working out.

I'm not the kind of artist that can imagine something up in my mind and transfer the idea onto paper. I need a visual representation of an idea, which I can then attempt to replicate. So like most of my other artwork, these are not entire my own creations. I found 2 pictures online that I really liked and copied them. However, I did add my own flare, so I suppose that makes them "mine."


I started with this one, which definitely ended up being the most difficult and time consuming. I decided to repaint the background, since I didn't like how it first turned out. The challenge was figuring out how to smoothly transition from color to color, without blending them together too much. This picture is called "Hopeful Winter."



This picture ended up being significantly different from the one I found online, mostly because I wasn't able to replicate the stroke technique. The background colors are also a variation from the original. Since this is a different painting style than the first, it ended up taking less than half the time the first one took. I call this "Spring Showers."

I used acrylic paint on both of these. The total cost of this project ended up being about $3.

They are now hanging in my dining room.

1 comment:

  1. they look great! funny thats been my "obsession" lately too. ;p

    ReplyDelete