Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Call Me Frank

I don't frequent bars frequently, but when I do, I always meet the most interesting characters. The other night, I went out with a group of friends for dinner and drinks. We stayed for a while, drinking and talking, talking and drinking. And eating sweet potato fries. Most of the group ended up leaving after a couple of hours, but I was having a great time and decided that I wanted to stay. I noticed a dart board and convinced my two friends who were left to join me in a game.

I'm fairly good at darts, but in all honestly, I'm convinced that it's beginners' luck. I haven't played very much, so I certainly can't attribute it to practice. There's no other logical explanation. Anyway, we decided to play Cricket, which I had never played before. They explained the rules to me, and then we started throwing. About halfway through our first game (at which point I was in the lead), two middle-aged men came stumbling into the bar from the outdoor patio. Ok, they weren't quite stumbling, but they were a couple drinks for the worse. They assumed a position next to us and were observing the game with great interest.

After my turn, I walked back to my spot and one of the men decided to strike up a conversation. He asked me if I played darts professionally, and I laughed and told him that I definitely did not. A few awkward words were exchanged, and it was my turn again. A couple minutes passed, and he approached me again and asked if I played on a league of some sort. Negative. The conversation that followed went something like this:

Drunk guy: Well, I like your throwing style. You throw with a lot of ease. And you throw with attitude. 
Me: Haha. Attitude is one thing that I am not lacking in. 
Drunk guy: It looks like throwing comes naturally to you. You're good. 
Me: Well, thank you, sir! 
Drunk guy: I'm no sir. Call me Frank. I'm a working man. 
Me: HAHAHAHA (silently, of course)!

At this point, I was way overdue for my turn. So my friend came to rescue me, and I step up to the line, feeling tons of pressure after the convo and knowing that Frank was watching me. But I didn't buckle, and I finished out the game strong with a win. Again, beginners' luck. All in all, it was a great evening, and I certainly got a few laughs out of Frank the working man!

No comments:

Post a Comment