Thursday, August 13, 2009

Homelessness

One of the things I've realized post-graduation is that I haven't been in one place for more than 3 months since I first left for college. And when I say the same place, I don't mean a single address. I mean the same state. The setup was perfect for me: school in Philly, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter breaks in Michigan, and summers in San Diego. While some people may find that overwhelming, I love it. I love the variety. I love being able to travel. I have loved the extensive breaks that college offered me which allowed me to travel. So now, after spending an amazing "last" summer spread between California, Pennsylvania and Oklahoma, I'm finally home. Not home for vacation, but home for good. And I don't like it. It's been two days and I already feel stuck, smothered by the absence of possibility. Choked by the thought that I am no longer free to pick up and travel whenever I fancy. The worst part about it is that this doesn't seem like home to me. Home for me is a very fluid concept- the division of my life between three worlds. It is not a place, but a culmination of all the places that I've been and experiences that I've had. That is home for me. However, life is constantly changing, and I suppose I need to learn to change with it. Close the old chapter and open a new one as they say. The amazing thing is that I get to write the new chapter, at least to a certain extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment