Thursday, August 6, 2009

Perpetual Unemployment

It's been three months since I graduated college, and since that time, I've been sort of drifting aimlessly around the U.S., never staying in one place for more than a few weeks. I've made my way up and down the coast of California, graced Philadelphia with my presence, and am currently residing in Oklahoma City until I finally return home to Michigan. While it has been wonderful to relax, I have discovered that really not very good at it. I prefer to keep myself occupied with numerous activities. School has kept me busy for the past 18 years of my life, so now that I'm done with that, I need to find something else to do. The obvious answer is: get a job. I know, I know. That's what typically comes next in the timeline of life. However, due to circumstances beyond my control, I graduated at a time when the economy is worse than it's been in decades. There are virtually no jobs available. All of the entry level positions that would typically be available for recent college grads are now taken by those who were laid off of their old jobs. Unfortunately, they have a huge advantage over me. It's called experience, and apparantly, you can't get a job without it. And herein lies my predicament: I need experience in order to land a decent job, but I need money to pay for that experience. Where else would I get that money but by working? I'm back at point A, and this circuitous route always brings me back to where I don't want to be: stuck in an unemployment rut. It hasn't been too bad up until now. I've plenty of time to detox from the poison of constant tests and papers that threatened to cause serious health issues. Three months worth of constant laziness has rejuvenated my spirit and has prepared me to start this phenomenon called "adulthood." I've even purchased a professional wardrobe. Now all I need is a job. Forget a career at this point. Those are on backorder. I'll settle for a job that pays more than minimum wage and doesn't kill my brain cells. An intellectuallly stimulating job may be too much to ask for at this point in time. Despite these "minor" setbacks, I'm still holding out for that perfect job. But until that crosses my path, I'll be readjusting my life to living at home with the family and spending my weekends at soccer matches and chaperoning dances.



No comments:

Post a Comment