Sunday, January 23, 2011

Making friends in Helsinki

When I found out that I would be visiting Norway again for work, I was determined to take full advantage of my trip. I had already seen Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen on previous work trips, so I figured, why not finish off the Nordic capitals by visiting Reykjavik and Helsinki! Good decision.

I'm now in Helsinki, which means that I can cross this off my list of things to do before I die. Since Europe is expensive, and I'm cheap, I decided that I didn't want to spend my entire paycheck on lodging. Instead, I used this incredible website called Couch Surfers, which is basically a network of travelers around the world who open up their home to others who are traveling. I've done this before, and it was a good experience, so I decided to try it again. I found a lovely girl, Ina, who said she would host me for the weekend.


















One of the things that I love about staying with locals is that you get to experience the culture in a way that you wouldn't if you stayed in a hotel. Plus, you get to meet new friends. Helsinki is a nice city on it's own, but it's been so much better having cool people to stay/hang out with. Ina's roommate, Anna, is also really great. We've cooked dinner together two nights in a row and have had some good conversations. Ina even took me to the local flea shop today, and we spent a couple of hours looking for treasures. Not only did we find treasures at the flea market, but we also found treasures in the trash. Now that's creative shopping! I've also gotten to listen to some great Finnish music and have tried Finnish candy. It's been amazing!













So, next time you're contemplating taking a trip to a foreign land, find a friend to stay with!

No comments:

Post a Comment