Saturday, January 1, 2011

Who Wouldn't Want to Live in Detroit?















My family moved from southern California to Detroit over four years ago. And when I say Detroit, I don't mean that we live on 8 Mile and Gratiot. We live in the suburbs, about an hour north of downtown. However, since the majority of people in the world would have no idea where Shelby Township is, I claim the greater Detroit area as home. I was strongly opposed to the move, even though I was already in college and out of the house. I mean, Michigan? Really? In addition to being far, far away from all of my friends and family, I was sure of the fact that there wouldn't be much to do here.

But was I ever wrong! I've never been here for more than a couple months at a time, mostly for college breaks and now for holidays. But the more time I spend here, the more I realize what a gem it really is. Michigan, and more specifically, Detroit, offers a plethora of opportunities to live life to the fullest. From fine dining to a variety cultural experiences, Detroit offers countless incentives to visit or to call it home. Here are a few that I've come up with:
  • If you're into sports, we have several choices for you. Although all are winning teams, the Lions and Pistons top the charts every year.
  • Michigan's fantastic weather draws people year-round. Humid in the summer, sub-zero in winter- who wouldn't want to take advantage of it?
  • Rome has the Colloseum and Paris has the Eiffel Tower, but Detroit has the abandoned Ford and GM plants. These unique architectural masterpieces are difficult to come by these days. 
  • If you consider yourself to be a culinary connoisseur, there are plenty of opportunities for fine dining, like Buffalo Wild Wings and White Castle.
  • In case you get bored driving, you can enjoy entertaining road signs like, "Use caution and allow snow plows room to groom" or "In ice and snow, take it slow."
  • Enjoy winter sports? You'll have plenty of opportunities to go cross-country skiing or ice fishing during our extra-long winters, which last from October to April.
  • There are a wide variety of cultural experiences available on 8 Mile Road or in Arabic Town.
  • If you're a linguist, you will thoroughly enjoy refining your accent, placing particular emphasis on A's and O's.         
  • You can enjoy Detroit's landscape on the many scenic detours that have been created due to constant road construction.                                                                                                                          
So, if you're ever looking for a lovely spot for your next vacation or move, consider Detroit. You won't be disappointed!


2 comments:

  1. I didn't like it, people were really rude. I was shocked by the consistency of sour faces and attitudes I encountered. :( I'll have to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was actually an attempt at sarcasm. I'm really not a big fan of Michigan at all.

    ReplyDelete